Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Charcoal from trash, a sustainable business


Whats the smoke above?  That is my first attempt at making charcoal.

My main focus during my mission trip to Mwanza, Tanzania will be to teach local people how to make charcoal from the organic material they have available.

To prepare myself for the classes I will be teaching, I have spent a couple of weekends so far making charcoal from corn stalks found on my dads farm.   I will say, the results have not been stellar so far, but each time it gets better!  Before I go, I plan to be a pro at making charcoal form things people can find in the trash. 

Why Charcoal? 
As you may know, many locals live on less than $2 per day.  Most of this money is spent on things they cannot make themselves.  The main thing they cannot make themselves is the charcoal they need for cooking their food.

Making charcoal from throw away material such as corn cobs, banana peals, sugar cane husks, etc, will not only help support each person financially, but also the local environment as trees are scarce, and often over harvested for cooking fuel needs.

Once an individual knows how to make charcoal themselves,they will not only have the charcoal, but also a source of income, as well pride in their work, and a higher status in their community, all leading to a better chance at developing who they are and their surroundings.

For more information, here are some good links.

YouTube vid showing how to make it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqI63IEg3MM

A little about the current state of charcoal production from trees: http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/energy-and-power/how-to-start-a-charcoal-business-in-africa

http://worldagroforestry.org/newsroom/highlights/charcoal-briquetting-nairobi-relieves-poverty-environmental-stresses

No comments:

Post a Comment